About the SGE
The Stellar Game Engine (abbreviated "SGE", pronounced as "Sage") is a free 2-D game engine. Basically, the SGE takes care of several low-level details you would have to deal with yourself if you were using a normal graphical library: window scaling, collision detection, split-screen views, delta timing, and more. The purpose of the SGE is to make game development easier, which allows more rapid development by experienced game developers and also helps less experienced game developers learn how to develop games.
The SGE is written in and for Python. It is currently implemented with Pygame as the backend. Alternative implementations using Pyglet and/or PySDL2 as a backend will be developed in the future (to allow the SGE to be used with PyPy, for instance).
The SGE is free software (where "free" refers to freedom, not price; see the Free Software Definition for more information), and the documentation has been (to the extent legally possible) released to the public domain via the CC0 license.
The SGE was originally a sub-project of another project called "Stellar", hence the name.
The SGE has many great features, including:
- Window size management: Just tell the SGE how you want the game to be scaled and it will handle the rest.
- Advanced collision detection: The SGE's powerful direction-based collision detection makes all kinds of physics much easier.
- Parallax scrolling: Simply tell the SGE what the background layers are and how fast they move, and you can achieve a magnificent 3-D illusion in seconds!
- Image transformation: Rotate, scale, and blend images as you please!
- Split-screen views: Easily make as many views as you want, in any configuration you like! Great for multiplayer games.
- Simple mouse interaction: The SGE treats the mouse as a game object, making all kinds of interactions with the mouse much simpler.
- Delta timing: Game running slow? With the SGE's built-in delta timing support, you can easily eliminate that feeling of sluggishness!
- Platform-independence: Write once, run anywhere! A program written for the SGE will run on just about any PC, including Windows, OS X, and GNU/Linux systems.
- Free/libre software: No draconian EULA, no restrictions on its use, and no digital restriction mechanisms. With the SGE, you are in control!