(note lower case) was a library that implement Microsoft's NTLM
authentication. However, the packaging of libntlm lacked
certain things, such as having build problems, lacking shared
library support, lacking autoconf macro for use in other
applications, lacking pkg-config support, and more. So this
page distributes an improved version of the library; called
Libntlm (note upper case L to differentiate it from the original
libntlm). Compared to the original releases, the current
version has been entirely re-written and only shares the same
Libntlm is licensed under the
GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1 or (at your
option) any later version.
References for the NTLM protocol are:
Projects using Libntlm
- 2011-06-20: Version 1.3 released. Proving the project is still alive.
- 2009-11-06: Version 1.2 released. Fixes MinGW cross-compile bug.
- 2009-05-08: Version 1.1 released. No significant changes.
- 2008-04-12: Version 1.0 released. Declared stable.
- 2008-03-05: Version 0.4.2 released. Portability fixes for
- 2008-03-05: Development (source code and web pages) moved to savannah.
- 2007-10-29: Version 0.4.1 released. Maintainance release.
- 2007-09-23: Version 0.4.0 released. Gnulib files updated,
only public API is exported in shared library. Approaching a
- 2007-09-23: Developed in Git instead of CVS.
- 2007-03-27: Version 0.3.13 released. Minor portability
fixes, by updating from gnulib.
- 2006-06-24: Version 0.3.12 released. Minor portability
fixes, by updating from gnulib.
- 2006-05-16: Version 0.3.11 released. Now works on 64-bit
- 2006-03-24: Version 0.3.10 released. Exports the
ntlm_smb_encrypt and ntlm_smb_nt_encrypt APIs.
- 2005-10-23: Version 0.3.9 released. The DES and MD4
functions are now shared with gnulib, to simplify maintenance.
- 2005-09-27: Version 0.3.8 released. APIs to build
requests/responses for usernames with @ in them (earlier an @
was used to separate the username from the realm). Build
- 2005-07-15: Version 0.3.7 released. A spec file was added.
Compiler warnings fixed, thanks to Frediano
Gnulib is used, currently only for a more robust
- 2004-09-30: Version 0.3.6 released. Various cleanups,
thanks to Frediano Ziglio.
- 2004-09-23: Version 0.3.5 released. Ported
- 2004-09-23: Version 0.3.4 released. License changed to
LGPL, thanks to rewrites by Frediano Ziglio.
- 2004-09-18: Version 0.3.3 released. Use of 'const' in
function prototypes. Source code indented according to GNU
- 2003-03-17: Version 0.3.2 released. Only build changes.
- 2002-10-17: Version 0.3.1 released. No code changes, but
uses automake 1.7, gnits and pkg-config.
- 2002-10-04: Anonymous CVS is available via pserver.
- 2002-10-01: Version 0.3.0 released. No code changes
compared to the last official 0.21 release.
The releases are distributed from release
All releases are signed with an
OpenPGP key with fingerprint 0xB565716F.
A mailing list where Libntlm users may help each other exists,
and you can reach it by sending e-mail
Archives of the mailing list discussions, and an interface to
manage subscriptions, is available through the World Wide Web at
There is also
Libntlm project page at Savannah that provide a bug tracker
If you are interested in paid support of Libntlm
please contact me.
This work is sponsored by Simon
Josefsson Datakonsult AB. If you find my work in this area
useful, also please consider making a donation. No amount is
Libntlm project page. You
can check out
the sources by using git as
$ git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/libntlm.git
git interface is available.
If you have trouble using git, you may download
a daily snapshot.
The snapshots are prepared similar to regular releases, i.e., you
simply build them using
./configure && make.
Build logs from building the package, where you can also contribute a
build system for your own platform, are available from
the Libntlm autobuild