GPL - Cross-Platform - Jabber Client
- 2002-08-26 : What do you think about the above logo ? Maybe you already guessed, it is written iruka.
Anyway, I am not just playing with the website but the source code is progressing
fast. We now have configuration, roster handling, user presence, and messages
working. However it is still very buggy so we will wait before releasing
it. Feel free to check the CVS if you want to give a try to Iruka.
- 2002-07-01 : We decided to drop use of jabber.py library to use
IMCOM, a command-line based client. Right now we are working hard on
Iruka, but it is not usable at all. You can still fetch sources from savannah's CVS if you want to have a look...
Iruka is a cross-platform
Jabber client. It can be used
either with Linux/ gtk or Windows.
Right now, it is still in early development so it should not be
used as primary client.
IRUKA is written in Python,
using the wxWindows toolkit.
For that reason, it works on Linux and Windows using the native toolkit
(GTK for Linux). Also please note that a Mac port of wxWindows is in
progress, so when this port will be stable Iruka will run on Mac without
any port effort, just launching the Python script.
Please visit the Savannah's project page (sourceforge-like project management).
To get the last source (it is updated quite often), you should get it
from Savannah's CVS.
to launch it, you need:
We also use IMCOM, but for convienience we included source code on the CVS.
Jabber Related FAQ
Please visit jabbercentral.org for more
- Q: What is Jabber ?
- A: It is an Instant Messaging System (IM) just like ICQ,
Yahoo!, MSN, AOL.
- Q: Why use Jabber ?
- A: For several reasons. First because it is Open Source,
then because it is well designed. It is distributed and modular, it
is a real pleasure to work with it. And also because most treatments are
on the server side, so writting a client is not so difficult ;-)
- Q: I want to use Jabber, but I still have friends using (ICQ|MSN|Y!|AIM).
What can I do ?
- A: There are "gateways" to these services, that means you can
communicates with buddies from other IM whatever the client you use. Please
note that it is not so reliable, so if you use jabber only to communicate
with others IM you could be disappointed.
- Q: Nice, I want to use jabber NOW !
- A: Since Iruka is not ready, you can choose a client from jabbercentral. However, we advice you Gabber for Linux/Gnome, or PSI for Linux/Kde or Windows.
Iruka Related FAQ
- Q: What does "Iruka" stands for ?
- A: Iruka means "Dolphin" in Japanese. I choosed this name because
of the particular way dolphin communicate (I still think IM is a "magical"
way to communicate) and simply because I like this animal, as I like Japan
(I live in Tokyo).
- Q: Why yet another Jabber client ?
- A: Iruka is cross-platform and integrates natively on
every platform. Moreover, being developped in a high-level language (Python) it will be very easy to add killer
features once it will be stable. To tell the truth, I was not satisfied by any client
- Q: What is IMCOM ?
- A: IMCOM is a command-line Jabber client written in Python. We use it as the engine for Iruka.
- Q: Will you implement X, Y or Z feature ?
- A: Wait, wait... Iruka is very young and we will first try to have
a usable client before adding superfluous features (but there *will* be superfluous
Contact us: iruka-devel (a) mail.freesoftware.fsf.org