The Generic Tagged Arrays (GTA) file format
The GTA file format has the following features:
- GTAs can store any kind of data in multidimensional arrays.
- GTAs can optionally use simple tags to store rich metadata.
- GTAs are streamable, which allows direct reading from and writing to pipes, network sockets, and other non-seekable media.
- GTAs can use ZLIB, BZIP2, or XZ compression, allowing a tradeoff between compression/decompression speed and compression ratio.
- Uncompressed GTA files allow easy out-of-core data access for very large arrays.