Right now, we don't have any pre-built packages for the current version of GOSSIP. If you know how to build packages, and would like to package GOSSIP, please contact us.
Installation from Source
The source packages of GOSSIP follow the GNU standard for configuration, which is probably familiar to you already. In general, the packages themselves contain the most detailed and most upto date instructions on how they would like to be installed in a file called INSTALL, and you should read these files. Here we give you only a quick overview of a normal installation and point you to places where external packages might be gotten from.
Especially when you install packages in some other location than /usr/local/, things are probably not so easy as they are portrayed here.
- Make sure you have the packages that Gossip depends on.
For gossip-sim, you need guile-1.6.0.
For gossip-ed, you need gossip-sim and Gtk+ and guile-gtk, preferably in their latest versions.
The various GOSSIP library packages might require additional software to be installed on your system. Please refer to the packages in question.
- Download the sources of gossip-sim and gossip-ed from the download area.
- Unpack them in some suitable directory. The tarballs create a new directory that will be filled, so you don't need to worry that files will spill all over your current directory.$ tar xzf gossip-sim-0.9.1.tar.gz
$ cd gossip-sim-0.9.1
- Configure the sources for your system.$ ./configureRun ./configure --help to learn about the options hat you can pass to configure.
- Compile the sources into the final executables.$ make
- Install the executables in the system.# make installYou probably need to be root for this step.
- Repeat for the rest of the packages, like gossip-ed and any block libraries.
Installation on RedHat Linux
There are RPMs available in the download area for recent versions of RedHat Linux. In particular, there are# rpm -U gossip-sim-0.8.2-1.i386.rpmYou need to be root to do this. The packages contain dependency information so that you will learn what other packages you need to install when trying to install one of the GOSSIP packages.
Some packages that you might need are# rpm -e gossip-sim
Build your own RPM Packages
Get the .tar.gz filesYou must download .tar.gz file even if you don't want to install the GOSSIP from .tar.gz. The .spec files are used to build rpms and, more important, the source code are keep in the .tar.gz files.
After download, put the .tar.gz files into/usr/src/redhat/SOURCESHere I assume that you are using Redhat and you have NOT change the configuration of the rpm. If you are using other packages like debain or you are not sure, try the following to find RPM_SOURCE_DIR .# rpm --showrcYou may need to trace it down since, in most of the case, the value depends on other macro definitions. If you are still not sure here, check out the www.rpm.org for more information about how to use RPM.
Get the .spec filesEither download the .spec files from download section above or open .tar.gz file to get it.
You can modify the .spec files for your own needs
Put the .spec file where you want but remember the place.
Make the rpm packageSwitch to root first and go the place where you put the .spec files before.
To build the gossip-sim# rpm -ba gossip-sim-0.8.specTo build the gossip-ed# rpm -ba gossip-ed-0.0.specIf it is ok, you can pick up the rpm files for your platform somewhere below /usr/src/redhat/RPMS depending your platform( again assuming the Redhat).